General Relativity, Black Holes, Gravitational Waves
Founding member of the Portuguese Society of Relativity and Gravitation (SPRG)
Current Professional Status
- Professor of Physics at IST, Lisbon
- Head, Physics Department IST
- Adjunct Professor of Physics at the University of Mississippi
Living Reviews in Relativity
- Chair of GWverse Gravitational Waves, Black Holes and Fundamental Physics (COST Action CA16104)
- Co-Chair WPSI Science Interpretation Package for LISA (currently the largest ESA-led mission)
- Co-Chair Fundamental Physics Working Group for ngEHT
- Steering Committee member of the European Center for Astro Particle Theory (EuCAPT)
Selected awards and recognitions
- Villum Investigator, Niels Bohr Institute, 2022-2027.
- ERC Synergy Grant, Panel member 2020.
- Visiting Senior Researcher at Waseda Institute of Advanced Study 2020.
- Van der Waals Professorial Chair University of Amsterdam 2019.
- Fellow CERN 2019.
- Honourable Citizen Argivai/Póvoa de Varzim.
- Member of the Committee (elected) of the ISGRG, 2016-2025 term.
- UL/CGD award for exceptional researchers, 2016.
- Fellow CERN, 2016.
- Outstanding Visiting Researcher at the University of Rome “La Sapienza,” 2015-2016.
- Ordem de Sant’Iago da Espada title, for scientific achievements,awarded by the President of the Portuguese Republic, Aníbal Cavaco Silva, 2015.
- Young Member of the Institute for Advanced Studies, of the portuguese Academy of Sciences.
- ERC Consolidator Grant, from the European Research Council.
- Outstanding Referee Award, American Physical Society, 2014.
- Fellow, Perimeter Institute, 2014-2018.
- Distinguished Visiting Professor, University of Belém do Pará, 2013-2014.
- Visiting Professor, Perimeter Institute, 2013.
- Outstanding teacher award, 2012.
- UTL/ Santander Totta award for outstanding researcher, 2010.
- ERC Starting Grant, for outstanding junior researchers in Europe in 2010. Awarded by the European Research Council.
- Gulbenkian Scholar at The University of Mississippi, April-July 2010.
- Fulbright Scholar at The University of Mississippi, Nov 2008 to Mar 2009.
- Young Researcher UTL/ Caixa Geral de Depositos award for outstanding junior researchers, 2008.
- Gulbenkian Prize for best scientific research project, in 2002 and 2005. Prize awarded by Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian .
For Nature, Physical Review Letters, Physical Review D and all major international journals in the field of astrophysics and gravitation.
For the European Research Council, the European Commission and for the main National Science Foundations in Europe and Asia and North America.
I have published over 200 scientific papers in international journals, and several commissioned reviews.
A complete list of my publications can be found here.
We recently published a new book on the physics of superradiance., the 2020 Edition. This volume gives a unified picture of the multifaceted subject of superradiance, with a focus on recent developments in the field, ranging from fundamental physics to astrophysics. The book covers all our current understanding on the physics of the amplification of waves by a medium, including classical effects such as the Cherenkov effect. The main body of the book deals with superradiance in black hole physics, with important applications in astrophysics and particle physics. Each chapter ends with a list of outstanding open problems and future directions. The second edition corrects a number of typos and, most importantly, adds and updates several sections, reflecting the intense activity in the field in the last years. Current bounds on ultralight fields are summarized in a Table, and will be updated online regularly.
This is not my book, but I wrote the preface (in portuguese) for these Stephen Hawking BBC lectures, and it’s a cool text to read. The book covers important aspects of black hole physics, such as formation, their uniqueness properties and, naturally, Hawking evaporation.